Friday, October 16, 2009
accountability in education
Accountability in education has many stake holders. I am particularly concerned with how accountable teachers are to their students. The expectations seem to be different depending on which age group is being focused on. For me being in a high school students often just want to know whether an assessment is worth credits or not. So is it my responsibility to deliver to them what they want, only assessments worth credits or deliver to them what I think they need???? The new science curriculum has a new section in it on carbon cycling - and I can not just teach this as a chemical reaction I have to, morally, include how pollution has caused a build up of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere and so tipped this normally balanced environment and so causing global warming. There is then the political ramifications - what is being done to curb this and who is trying the hardest to do this??? All relevant BUT do I add what I think is right or wrong and how accountable will I be if I avoid the truth because it is not popular or part of the curriculum???
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment